Thursday 16 May 2013

Visa approved

Hello. Yesterday I applied for a B2 visa. I'm a  23 yr old man, currently studying and working. I don't have a big salary and the purpose of the trip is to visit Miami with my mother and my father in law (they both have B2 visa already).

My appointment was scheduled at 10:00Am. I arrived just in time, so I could enter quickly to the embassy  Still, I recommend to arrive 30 minutes early to the appointment.

The consular officer was a young, kind, beautiful lady, who made these questions:

- Why are u going to the USA?
A/ I want to spend my vacations on Miami
- Had you travel to another countries before?
A/ Nope, I haven't
(she said.."hmm..is your first time then")
- Had you had american visa before?
A/ No ma'am, I haven't
- Where do you work?
A/ A company related to (my course of study) named ABC.
- How much do you earn monthly?
A/ X Amount (what was certified from my job)




Then she said: "hold a second please.." and after typing something in her computer, she said the magical words:

-"Your Visa is approved! have a nice trip, ciao!"

Pro tips: 

-I think the DS160 defines it all, and the interview is only a process to hand over the passport, so pay special attention to that format. You must have a legitimate reason to travel to the US.

-I wouldn't recommend to say that you're traveling alone (specially if you're young). That's the reason why I'm going with my mother and my father in law. Plot a family trip to the US, and apply for visa as family group. you can take the interview as a family group as well.

-Be honest and confident through the whole process. Practice FAQs. Dress nicely (I recommend to take the interview as a "job interview"). Don't be afraid of wearing your nice clothes.

-Be nice with the consular officer. Put yourself in their shoes: interviewing thousands of persons from 8:00am to 1:00pm restless...must be a hell of a tiring experience. Always smile.

-You can take your cellphone with you, but make sure you don't use it inside the embassy.

Finally, Good luck, and see you in Miami!

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes, ds depends on luck. I,my hubby n bady had an interview and d guy dat interviewd us only asked where we travelln to and the amount we earn. We ar both bankers and yet he said we were not able 2 convince him.Sometimes, u wonder wat dey actually want. Probably, d guy(looks like Chinese) was pissed off cos my baby was hungry and was cryn seroiusly. I thinkn these ppl are here to exploit nigerians.probably , dey shld be able to either grant or deny Visa online instead of allowing ppl travel from far distances with and yet would be given Visa even wen u have genuine reasons like holiday for travelln..
    Sometimes, d reason is travel history. How wld ppl have travel history if every country is rejecting their Visas for the first time. They cld be so annoying. Ds is my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really dont understand that refusal based on travel history. if every country refused you based on first timer, when will you have opportunity as a first timer? But i tell people, thank God other countries dont behave like the US. Visit another country before applying for US Visa and pray to God!

      Delete
  2. I was also interviewed by that stupid Asian guy. Was denied just like the others that he interviewed. Next time you're at the US embassy in Lagos, pray to avoid his cubicle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stupid Asian guy is very notorious, I felt like giving him a piece of my mind when he denied me that "no matter how American he feels,his chinko eyes will always sell him out and he can never be more catholic than the pope"

    ReplyDelete