Monday 20 May 2013

I GOT IT (US TOURIST VISA)

March 24 2013 was the day of my visa interview, 7:45am was the time, Singapore was the location. I woke up at about 5:00am, got ready and left the house by 6:00am. I had prepared my documents 3 weeks before my interview and prepared my self with sample interview questions from different blogs and forums. The night before the interview I could not sleep I kept thinking of possible questions and how I was going to answer them, I slept for less than one hour (I told four of my friends to make sure I wake up by 5 since they were awake studying for an exam)

I arrived at the embassy at about 7:15am, wearing a formal attire (white long sleeve and black jeans, had my braids in a bun). upon arrival I was told to queue in a tent . I was the second person to arrive there after two friendly Filipino couple. security was very good as expected. Soon after more people started coming I peeped at what they were holding and I saw how thick their documents were, their interview appointment letter was also different from the one I was holding. I got nervous, I was shaking all over (every step of the way till I got interviewed I kept praying to GOD to give me confidence, boldness and let him direct the words that will come out from my mouth)

7:45am we were inside the embassy, got my queue number and was waiting to be interviewed. My queue number was 702 and I was the first person to be interviewed by the visa officer that interviewed me.



MY DOCUMENTS

  • Non immigrant visa Electronic Application (DS - 160) form
  • My Nigerian passport
  • Four passport photographs
  • A receipt of the non-refundable non-immigrant visa application processing fee of US$190 in local currency which is S$208
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FROM MY SPONSOR
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • Bank statements
  • Invitation letter
  • Employment letter
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FROM ME
  • School transcripts
  • Scholarship award letter
  • Course enrollment letter from school
  • A letter from my school stating when I will be having my holiday
VISA STEPS
  • Document submission
  • Finger print registration
  • Consul interview
I was the second person called to be interviewed but first for the interview officer. The consul was a man of probably in his 30's or 40's.

VISA INTERVIEW

ME: Good morning sir!
VISA OFFICER: Good morning.....
VISA OFFICER: what is your travel plan?
ME: I plan to spend my summer vacation with my aunt and her family for three weeks.
VISA OFFICER: three weeks?  
ME: yes sir.
VISA OFFICER: So what do you do?
ME: Am a student 
VISA OFFICER: Show me your student pass?
ME: OK (handed over my student pass to him
VISA OFFICER: Have you been to US before?
ME: No sir
VISA OFFICER: How many years have your relatives been in the US?
ME: 22 years
VISA OFFICER: What is their residency status? 
ME: They are citizens 
VISA OFFICER: Show me your school transcripts?
ME: yes sir (handed him my transcripts)
VISA OFFICER: Impressive result (My transcripts were mainly A's and few B's)/
VISA OFFICER: These transcripts were for last year were is your current transcript
ME: Sorry sir I didn't come with it
VISA OFFICER: So you came with your outdated transcripts and left the current one?
ME: Sorry sir I forgot it but I had a B+ in information system design (lol)
VISA OFFICER: How much have you kept for your studies?
ME: Am on a scholarship from my state government back in Nigeria, they takes care of my education funding.
VISA OFFICER: Show me the proof of your scholarship?
 ME: I gave him my scholarship award letter and commitment letter.
VISA OFFICER: Where in the US are you going?
 ME: Florida sir?
VISA OFFICER: Show me your invitation letter?
 ME: I showed him the invitation letter from my aunt.
VISA OFFICER: Do you plan on going to other places besides Florida?
ME: No sir.

The moment I was waiting for

VISA OFFICER: I will be issuing you a single entry visa for three months. You can pick it up after three working days.
ME: Thank you very much sir, do have a wonderful day (all smiles).

I couldn't contain my happiness so I burst into tears of joy while leaving the embassy, am so thankful to God for answering my prayer.

ADVICE
If you are really going to the US for genuine reasons just be confident don't let the visa officers intimidate you or don't let the visa process intimidate you. Be truthful always in what you say and present to them.

Even if you don't get it, cheer up you can always apply again. 

1 comment: