Tuesday 14 May 2013

My U.S. Interview Visa Experience


After so many years of my preparation I have for this interview, the much awaited day has finally came. It has been my dream to visit United States and when I started to land a job after graduation, I promised to myself I will visit United States once in a lifetime.
June 24, 2011, Friday was my visa interview to United States at 7.45am in Singapore. I woke up 5.30am, brought my documents and left the house at 6.30am. Mind you, my documents had been prepared 2 weeks ago before my interview. I had sleepless nights thinking about how will my interview goes and slept 4 hours that night before my interview day.


I arrived in U.S. Embassy at 7.10am, wearing a formal attire and brought my documents. Upon arrival to the gate, the guard told me to queue at the tent. There were 4 folks already waiting inside the tent. I sat and was early for 7.45am appointment. Then after few minutes, there were already some folks arriving in different nationalities. Some were Myanmar, Indians, Eurasians, China and among others but I saw some Filipinos too.
Security was tight, our mobiles phones were asked to leave at the guard station. As I peeped to other folks, I saw them bringing photo albums with all their documents. Some were bringing 2 inches of their credentials too. I got nervous, my hands were cold and I silently prayed to give me wisdom as I didn’t bring so much credentials. I also saw some folks brought their company corporate profile to proof what company they are employed. I took a deep breath and said to myself that I can make it. Whatever happens, my dream won’t stop there anyway, if not given the chance. I can still visit other countries like Europe and come back for another interview. Failure is not my option and it is just another  experience for me to take another step of my life.
Got my queue number, 7505 and  I was the fifth to be interviewed shortly. Just wanted to share with you the documents I brought:
  • A Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form. Visit the DS-160 webpage for more information.
  • A passport
  • One (1) 2x2 photograph.
  • A receipt showing payment of the non-refundable nonimmigrant visa application processing fee (the MRV fee) of US$140, paid in local currency. Please visit this page for information about paying this fee.
  • Supporting Documents
    • an employment letter from my employer and recent three months pay slips.
    • recent three months bank statements
Queue number will be called three times:
  1. documents submissions plus supporting documents
  2. finger prints
  3. consul interview
My personal profile:
  • single
  • 27 years old (just turned 27 last April)
  • no U.S. pending petition
  • no relatives in United States
  • with travel history
  • no properties in the Philippines
I could hear how the interview went after those 3 folks were called. I got trembled. I became deaf for a second then I started to calm myself. It was a nerve wracking experience for me. After 30 minutes of waiting time, my number was already flashing to  the screen. I stood up infront of Window 6 and the consul was a woman of late 40’s wearing spectacles, skinny and looked sophisticated.
  • me: good morning!
  • consul: good morning! What’s your job?
  • me:  i work as a …
  • consul: what does you do and what industry?
  • me: I ……………
  • consul: how many years you’ve been in your job and in Singapore?
  • me: I’ve been working in that company for 2 years and 7 months and in Singapore for 3 years.
  • consul: are you on an Employment Pass?
  • me: no, im holding SPass. (there are different categories of working permit in Singapore)
  • consul: okay. Where are you going in US? What’s the purpose of your visit?  How many days?
  • me: i’ll be there for holiday and visit New York for 2 weeks in December to see Statue of Liberty, Manhattan and Niagara falls. (i guffawed at myself as I didn’t know much of these places. Silly me, I didn’t research about this place.)
  • consul: where in New York?  (i didn’t expect that this question will be asked)
  • me: I’ll be going in Lexington Avenue and stay in Marriot Hotel. (i was confident answering this as i researched lest ask.)
  • consul: you’ll be staying in hotel for 2 weeks?
  • me: yes. (i answered confidently and  the consul flipped my bank statement and stared blankly)
  • consul: how much will you spend for this trip?
  • me: $….. (consul flipped my bank documents)
  • consul: what countries have you been so far aside from Singapore and Philippines?
  • me: I’ve been to China, Malaysia……………….and Paris, France. (i emphasized confidently my trip to Paris, France.)
  • consul: Whom are you travelling with?
  • me: I always travel alone. (i think i answered wrongly as how could I travel alone.) After few seconds…
  • consul: Your visa is approved. Please wait for 3 days for your passport.
  • me: Thank you.
I thought I will faint and couldn’t explain my happiness after hearing those words. Am I going to Unites States? Weee.. Unbelievable! It was surreal. My dream came true. I can go to United States anytime. Until now, I am still dumbfounded of how my childhood dream turned to reality. After 3 years of planning eagerly to make it happen, I never stop dreaming of this place and believing to myself that I can make it. Thereafter, I feel so contented and fulfilled.
I am just an ordinary lady receiving extraordinary blessings every hour of my life

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It has help me in finding out more detail about "Singapore Tourist Visa"

    ReplyDelete