Friday 17 May 2013

Applying for a US Tourist Visa in Malaysia

Leading up to my US Visa application, I found a few blog entries that were uber helpful. But they were still few. So I'm going to do my part, and pay back to society by contributing my own experience.

I won't go into details about 'how to apply', because a simple google search would give you all the answers you need. But I'm going to go into grandmother story mode about the interview proper.

My appointment was scheduled for 10am. I left my house at 8.15am, thinking to myself "What am I going to do with myself when I reach there early?".

One broken down car in SMART Tunnel, One more on Jln Tun Razak, a massive jam that was worse than the normal KL traffic peak, one frantic and frazzled me later, I drove passed the embassy at 10.10am, found a parking 500meters away, and RAN to the entrance, praying all the way....and I was never so happy to see a long queue. There were people still waiting to get in. And though I had to wait another 50 minutes before I was allowed in, it was a happy 50 minutes of feeling lucky.




Before I was allowed in, I had to queue to approach the 'information window'. While queuing, applicants were chit chatting to each other and even with the guards who were friendly and helpful with enquiries. The queue doesn't keep moving, because they only let people in in batches.

When my turn came, I had to submit my IC and show my interview appointment letter to the lady behind the counter in exchange for a visitor's pass.

And then I queued again.

People were allowed into the guardhouse, one at a time, to go through a security check - x-ray for the bags and person. I had to remove all electronic items (Hand phones, car remote control, camera, etc) and checked them in at the counter. The guard then finally let me into 'the land of dreams' (the embassy seemed that way, after the long wait) with clear instructions of where to go.

Here onwards, every step is followed by clear instructions for the next. This efficiency I love, and wish we adopted in our government agencies.

It was 11am. After I entered the building, there is a ticketing machine on the left where I collected my number. The counters and waiting area are through the door on your left with more waiting area through the right.

The counters are like the ones in banks, except the personnel are separated by glass and some of the counters were closed up like a glass cubicle. I presume it was to reduce the noise.

I preferred to wait at the waiting area to the right because it was bigger, had washrooms and a water fountain. Both waiting areas had TV but I people-watched, as usual. Numbers are called while the previous applicant is about to finish, so I didn't have to run to the counter. Plus, it was more efficient because no time in between applicants is wasted. Efficiency, I like!

So, the first time my number was called, I had to submit my
1) photo
2) fee receipt
3) Passport
4) Application Confirmation Form (the one that you receive after submitting the form online)
The lady kept asking me the same question: "Have you been to the US before?"
My last resolute "NO" satisfied her. I wonder if it was a test or she just wasn't paying attention.

The second time I was called was for the biometric scanning. There's a precise method:
1) Place the four fingers of your right hand flat on the screen
2) Do the same with the left
3) Then both thumbs

Then wait some more.

The third time is the interview. Now, this was what I was dreading. I had read from the blogs that some of the interviewers were fierce and rude, and some questions could be tricky.

As I approached the counter, I was greeted with "Hello! And how are you doing today?!"

What a relief! I got a friendly one! The questions he asked me were fairly simple:

1) Why are you going to the US?
2) Where are you going?
3) How long?
4) Do you have any friends or relatives there?
5) Who are you going with? (Answer: my boyfriend)
6) Does he have a visa?
7) Is he Malaysian?
8) What do you do for a living?
9) Do you have a degree?
10) Did you study for it in Malaysia?

And my favourite part was when he said "Ok, no problem. Your visa has been approved", teared off and handed me a stub to exchange for my passport later. He hadn't even ask to see any of the supporting documents I had brought along (I did spend many hours preparing them).

I walked off happily with the stub in my hand, smiling blithely to myself, forgetting to ask 'how many years' and 'when will it be delivered?'.

It was 12pm.

I headed to KLCC nearby and bought a pair of 'holiday' walking shoes.

Update: Two days after my visa Interview, I received an SMS and an email informing me that my documents has been picked up from the US embassy. The following day, which is today, it was delivered to my house. 10 years validity. WhoopDeeDOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment