Wednesday 15 May 2013

US visa denial experience


This is my second time applying for US tourist visa within the space of 5 months. The first time I applied with my wife and daughter in the US embassy in Lagos. We were all denied without the consular checking any of our documents.

The reason for denial was quite understandable because I was very nervous after hearing all sorts about US visa interviews. I was almost stuttering at any question the consular put forward to me. On the other hand, my wife was very confident and she really spoke well (shame on me). Please note that I have never been denied visa before as this was my very first visa denial.

I have been to the UK several times, Dubai 3 times, have a schengen visa and I have also been to Turkey 3 times too. My answers in the first interview were not coherent at all. If I can figure out another reason for our denial besides my lack of confidence was that I told the consular that I am an electrical engr whereas I put graphics and interior design when i filled my ds160 form.




The reason is that I am actually an electrical engr and have worked as one in a renowned company, I stopped working as an electrical engineer and pursed another career in a passion of mine .. which is Graphics and interior design.

In my form, it was indicated there that I am graduate of electrical electronics and worked as an engineer for a year but I filled graphics and interior design as my primary occupation. I have been successful as an interior designer and I earn well too.

Now fast forward to my second interview which took place in Abuja, which i believe was more organized but not wot it in my opinion as there were a lot of visa denials and the interview didn't commence until after 3 hours of the scheduled time. Finally the die was cast after long hours of wait, listening to so many people faulter and few successful.

I was now gaining confidence when I found out that most applicant were fidgeting because they weren't confident in there english. Some couldn't even understand the consulars accent. It was really embarrassing watching them.

Now my turn and the interview went thus. where are u going to in the US.. I said Newyork city. Where in Newyork? Sumner place Brooklyn Newyork. Have u been denied before? Yes with my family. Why were u denied? I wouldn't know because the paper they gave me has a generic interpretation and does not address me as an individual? Why Newyork? Because thats like the Lagos of the US, its the commercial, fashion capital and i want to see some tourist attraction places in newyork, I will also take time to shop for my newborn. What do you do? I am a graphics and interior designer. I used to work as an Electrical engineer as I am graduate of elect engineering. How much do you earn monthly? I don't earn monthly because most of my works are contract based but I have been able to average 6 million naira annually in 4 years. how much is your trip going to cost you? I said one million naira because of my hotel acc, ticket and I am also taking time out to shop for my family and my new born. This time i was already broiling with confidence and he felt the sense that i was really prepared. He excused himself for one minute and at this time i was wondering maybe he wanted to ask someone something. I was just expecting him to ask me to present my documents but in his eyes I could see that he knew that I would have everything in place. So, he came back and said... sorry ur visa wont be granted, this paper will explain why. I was dazed, the other applicants were dazed too.

Immediately I came out they (other applicants) told me that they never saw my denial coming because I spoke really well and answered him confidently. I heard after me, he did not even give anybody. as all that came his way were denied.

I am now thinking what went wrong? I can't even place it so I am hoping someone who has experience can tell me what could have happened. is it whot it applying again because I am thinking of applying with my family again.

I also have a newborn. We are all well traveled to at least 4 countries except for the new born. The only relieve I have now is that I am as confident as ever because I believe those consulars can't even challenge me intellectually, they are just normal Americans who believe they are better than us, which is actually wrong.

I feel like I lost a battle to lesser person who couldn't rise to a challenge.

I am so vexed right now, that I am beginning to think..... will I ever visit the USA?

4 comments:

  1. what did that 'paper' say? whats d reason for d refusal? they must hv pointed at something....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you give it a long while- so as not to appear desperate. Keep visiting other countries, then try applying again without your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhmm,am almost going tru d same tin here but in my case am yet 2 go 4 my 2nd interview in abj rather dan lagos like d 1st...am believing mine would work out cus ova d 5months period of time av been to 3countries which i fink is a plus added 2 my passport!am using d same documents i presented in january.I hope and believe dis1 would be different cus of my experience 4rm d previous1 plus i learnt 4rm ur story nw 2 just say d truth dat av been denied once cus quite frankly i dint tink dey would ask me!thnks 4 shedding more light......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Applying for a visa is not a simple process and there are stringent visa requirements that need to be met by anyone that wants to obtain a US visa.

    Denied Entry to USA From Canada

    ReplyDelete