Wednesday 12 June 2013

SUGGESTION PLEASE

Hello, i am new here. i however have a visa experience. i was supposed to travel with my parents to attend my immediate elder brother's wedding in Chicago  though the appointment was booked together, they would not allow us take it together. my parents took it together while i took mine separately. the officer, a black young lady asked me what my visit was for, i told her i am attending my brother's wedding and i am the best man. she asked what i do, i told her i am a lawyer. again ow much i earn, i told her, about N220,000. she then worked at her computer and suddenly asked me why the wedding is taking place in Atlanta while the couple stay in Chicago  Actually my brother is taking his PhD in Chicago and they lived and met in Chicago but they are more comfortable with Atlanta because the bride family previously lived there. more so  its a destination wedding and people coming all around the world for it. she wasn't convinced. she asked if i have made plans for the trip and i said i have a reservation at the Sheraton in Atlanta where the wedding will take place. she just did not request for any of my documents. she asked if married, i said i had a fiancee. out of the country before, i said no. she then says am not qualified for a visa. i was so distraught. my brother was devastated  only my parents were given. i wanted to appeal it but i dropped it. i think they assume i do not have enough ties. they don't care how important what you are going to do in the US is, once ties is not well established, they take you down. then i ll probably travel around to some places before applying again  anything to show the circumstances have changed. any other suggestion please?

6 comments:

  1. Funny enough,its not about the ties.even people dat have been to the US countless times before get denied too. Dose who v never traveled outside Nigeria get granted. I know sum1 who had bn denied uk visa 5times and Irish once and still got a US visa. Its just favour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your experience. I am not judging you but I feel you could not convince your interviewer why the wedding was in another location. They look out for good poise, eloquent speech and good body language . I wish you the best in your future application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I support your point. If i was in your shoes, i would have said the bride's family live in Atlanta and as per the Nigerian culture....weddings are held where the bride's family reside. Atlanta is not a destination wedding (If you were going to Bahamas then i will agree). To them it looks like the wedding is really going to take place in Chicago but you are running away to Atlanta.

      Delete
  3. I am a first timer too..I think its just luck to have a good interviewer I am 23 and they allowed me take an interview with my mum who was renewing hers the white man dint ask us too much questions and just gave me my 2 yrs visa..I think its just luck and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. i beg to differ. it is not favour. so r u saying those that get denied dont have favour....they consider everything as a whole...i would have advised that you appeal. more-so if there is still time before your brother's wedding...appealing shows you are contesting the refusal.....chances are that the next time u r going to visit would be to visit your brother too and as your circumstances havent changed you will be refused...i advise u appeal and include all the original docs u took to d interview....otherwise, wait a few months, ger married, etc and reapply...all d best......

    ReplyDelete
  5. also your countenance and overall appearance also matters if they are not convinced..you need to affirm the reason you are going,...do not act like they are doing you a favour, do not act meek or timid.....i had a friend, the visa officer told him he is not convinced and asked why he should be issued a visa, the guy replied saying he has family and his life here is too important to jeopardise . he was granted the visa...remember,...these people are human beings too and view your overall package not just your purpose of travel and ties.....goodluck..

    ReplyDelete